- What does photography mean to you?
Answer: Photography is an art. Many people take pictures but, few are artists.
- What makes the good pixture standout from the average?
Answer: A good picture must have proper lighting and composition. This can be natural or artificial but, the subject must be lit well to create the mood. Framing or the cropping of the image creates the artists vision.
- One of today’s main diacussion points amongest photographers is about the true of digital cameras?
Answer: Digital photography is here to stay. I started taking pictures 40 years ago with film. All cameras were manual and you did not have a screen on the back of your camera to check your exposure. Nor did you did have photo editing software to help you. Unfortunately, many photographers today rely on the digital technology instead of learning the true art of photography.
- What is the influence of digital technology on your photography;do you use digital photography;do you use digital camera?
Answer: I do use a digital camera and have now for about 10 years. Because I started with film cameras I still shoot manually and aim to get every exposure correct. This leaves very little editing to do in post. Digital photography has definitely helped to prepare images for publication. At the same time it has taken away from the true art of photography. Now, everyone can be photographer which is good and bad at the same time.
- How important is it for a photographer to connect with his subjects to bring out their true self?
Answer: It is so important to make a model feel comfortable. This usually starts weeks or months before the shoot. We discuss wardrobe, makeup and locations. On shoot day it is likely the first time we will have met so, having all the conversations ahead of time helps. I am very calm and relaxed during my photo shoots and that helps a model to be comfortable. Then I am able to bring out the best in her.
- Can you walk us through the actual process that you use to setup a portrait?
Answer: First I determine the background or area of a room for the image. Then I look at lighting the area and particular where the model will be. I then move the model into position and capture the image.
- Location & weather conditions seen to be a cruciao aspects to a successful picture,how do you handle these unpredictable factors?
Answer: I started out in photography as a landscape and wildlife artist. I learned so much over the years on how to use natural light and work with what the environment gave me. Even indoors I have learned to work with what the location has to offer. I walk around the location and see what possibilities it offers.
- Color vs black&white. Why one over the other & is the photographic process different?
Answer: I love black & white photography. It really shows off an artistic image. Many of the publications I shoot for prefer to use color imagery. The nice thing about digital photography is you can shoot an image in color and convert it later into a black & white image.
Text: Saif Rahman Sozib