Organised by the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) and title-sponsored by Cathay Pacific Airways, the Cathay Pacific International Chinese New Year Night Parade will be held at 8pm tomorrow (5 February) in Tsim Sha Tsui. The annual mega event will feature an impressive line-up of 34 floats and performing troupes. The following four key highlights are a must-see for locals and visitors alike.
1. World-class line-up of performing troupes
Thirteen Mainland and international performing groups will be showcased in this year’s parade, with the following three teams as the highlights of the show:
- Junior New System: This Filipino all-male performing group, which gained fame on American talent show “America’s Got Talent”, will wear their signature high heels while dancing and flipping.
- Face Team Acrobatic Korfball: This team from Hungary holds 10 Guinness World Records. They will stage various fancy slam-dunk basketball moves.
- Hiplet Ballerinas: The dancers are currently the only Hiplet performers in the world. They will present their signature dance moves, which went viral on social media platforms.
2. Glamorous floats with enthralling performances
This year’s parade will feature nine magnificent floats. The Cathay Pacific float will kick off the festivities with energetic drumming and dynamic dances by cabin crew, spreading positive energy and excitement to the crowd. Hong Kong’s two amusement parks, Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park Hong Kong, will greet the crowd with cute characters. Joined by their newest friend Cookie, Mickey, Minnie and Duffy will wear Chinese festive outfits, while Whiskers, the Ocean Park mascot, will be there to wish everyone good luck.
In the grand finale, the HKTB float will be joined by ten cute piglets in festive costumes and will react to the spectators’ cheers with lighting effects.
3. Fun games to play and great prizes to win
The Quality Tourism Services Association will launch a festive mobile game to echo the theme of its float. Visitors and locals along the parade route can participate in the game on the first day of the Lunar New Year. They will have the opportunity to win prizes and rewards worth HK$3 million, including an auspicious golden pig.
4. Pre-parade troupes to warm up the crowd
The parade tomorrow night will start at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre Piazza and proceed along Canton Road, Haiphong Road and Nathan Road, ending outside the Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers. Eighteen performing groups will start at about 6pm along the parade route to warm up and interact with the crowd with various dance, magic and busking roving performances. They will also give out festive gift packs to spectators.
TVB Jade will broadcast the parade live from 8pm to 9.45pm, and the HKTB will engage a worldwide audience by providing satellite and fibre transmission of the parade to global television stations, major newswires and international cruise liners for live broadcast.
Cathay Pacific Airways is the title sponsor of the parade for the 21st consecutive year, and China Construction Bank (Asia) is the route sponsor for the fifth year in a row. For details of the 2019 Cathay Pacific International Chinese New Year Night Parade and other activities during Chinese New Year, please visit the HKTB website: DiscoverHongKong.com/ChineseNewYear.
Source / photo: www.discoverhongkong.com / Getty Images